Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Know How You Feel...

So upon further research I have discovered that I more than one type of synesthesia. Along with sound-color I also have a rarer type called Mirror-Touch synesthesia, which is a type that deals with emotion.
When put into simple turns when I see a person I can easily sense their emotions. I had always thought this was simple intuition until I read the description of it during my research.

Another part of mirror-touch synesthesia is that when I see someone get hurt, I can feel the pain as well. One example of this is when I see someone get a shot, I feel the needle prick on my arm as they get it.

This also applies to things I see in pictures or on TV. For instance I have never been able to watch an entire slasher flick without hiding my eyes at some point.

The fact that I have more than one type of synesthesia is pretty normal. People who have one type, especially a common type like my sound-color, usually have another. Carol Steen is one known example of this with multiple types of synesthesia which she incorporate in her art. She is also the co founder of the American Synesthesia Association.

There are types that are more uncommon than others but it's hard to say how rare they are when most researchers don't even have an accurate idea how common or rare synesthesia is in general. There are several reasons for why it's so hard to estimate, but we'll get into those next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment