Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sensory Overload

As much as I love having sound-color synesthesia I have found some negative aspects to it. The main problem I have a lot of the time is having to deal with sensory overload. Because I perceive sound with two different senses, it can be pretty easy for me to get overwhelmed in very loud situations. For me, when I experience sensory overload, I feel like my vision and hearing are basically useless leaving me very confused and disoriented. My solution? Curling up while covering my ears and keeping my eyes shut as tight as I can.

This is the reason I normally don't go to concerts because pretty much every concert I've gone to has ended with extreme sensory overload. Some of the factors the contribute to this not-so-lovely experience...

  • The Loud Music
    • The louder that music gets, the brighter the colors get.
  • The Crowds
    • Crowds unnerve me in any situation. There are too many voices and all of the get mixed together and turn into black and I can't pull out a single voice.  
    • If people try to talk to me, I usually can't understand them unless they're screaming in my ear or I'm looking directly at them. 
  • The Lights, Smoke and other special effects performers feel they have to use. 
    • I'm already seeing bright, loud bursts of color and many times the stage lights are different colors than what I'm hearing and pointing at the audience. 
Now combine all of these together and I just can't take it. The last concert I went to was about about a year ago and part way through a couple of people I was there with had to half carry me out of the arena. 

Of course this doesn't happen to this extent that often. Many times I just get confused and have trouble processing information but I can still function. This is not that uncommon for other synesthetes as well, especially with people who have crossed hearing, vision, taste and touch. Since people with synesthesia are interpreting the same stimuli twice that brain has to work a little bit harder to keep up. Researchers have done test such as MRIs and PET scans on synesthetes and the results have shown that both areas of the brain activate when they are exposed to whatever perception induces their synesthesia. 

Overall, it's not all fun and games but I still love it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment